The Queensland toddler died in a Melbourne hospital after spending almost two years in a plastic bubble.
The child had a very weak immune system, and even a small germ can take his life. The boy’s name was Thomas Collins, and he was kept in a plastic bubble to prevent him from any infection. The specialists were treating him for his immune system problem, and he was under the special care of the hospital staff. The boy took his last breaths in his parent’s arms.
Leah and Morgan, the parents of Collins, were shattered by their son’s death, and they can’t wait to reach their family in Queensland.
The border restrictions due to pandemic restrain them from going their home without spending 14 days in quarantine.The immunologists are though convinced to declare them covid-safe. “We have tried everything to reach home so the whole family could be together,” said the heartbroken mother.
According to the rules, the family had to wait two weeks to hold the deceased child’s funeral.Thomas suffered from SCID (Severe combined immunodeficiency disorder).
The disease is fatal, and the stem-cell transplant is its only possible cure.The individuals suffering from this hereditary disorder are extremely susceptible to pathogenic organisms. A mild infection and the smallest germ can cause their death.
The WBC’s malfunction and inability to produce antibodies prevent the body from fighting off germs.
The room where Thomas was kept was sterilized under standard microbial conditions so no organism can enter the space. Little Thomas had brain surgery a few weeks before his death. The surgery didn’t succeed, and he went into a coma. Doctors lost their hope and informed the family that he will not recover.
The family said it is terrible that they’re unable to share this deepest sorrow with their family.
“Despite continuous begging, Queensland Health has not given us any positive response.We had to isolate ourselves in the room where our baby died. We are not allowed to step out for a walk or anything,” said the grieving mother.