Logan Williams, who played young Barry Allen on The Flash aired on CW, suddenly died on April 2, following a three-year addiction to fentanyl.
Although the cause of death was not initially reported, Logan’s mother, Marlyse Williams said toxicology reports confirmed her son had died from an opioid overdose.
‘‘His death is not going to be in vain. He’s going to help a lot of people down the road,’’ she said in a New York Post interview.
Marlyse told how she first knew of her son’s drug use after the auditioning process became ‘way too stressful’ for the teen, who should have turned 17 on April 9.
Marlyse said she caught him using marijuana at first, and it quickly escalated to other drugs. Although she wasn’t fully aware her son was using other drugs at the time, Matlyse says Logan ‘was in complete denial because he was so ashamed’ of his addiction.
In the next three years, Marlyse tried many ways to help her son get clean from his addiction, including remortgaging the family home to send him to an expensive treatment center in the US.
Last summer, she sent her son to another facility in British Columbia for a month, after that Logan was living in a group home.
“I did everything humanly possible, everything a mother could do, I did everything but handcuff him to me to try to keep him safe.”
Helping her son to try and overcome his own demons understandably put a strain on the family saying, ‘‘It basically sucks all the energy out.’’
Marlyse managed to keep Logan’s addictions secret from those in the entertainment business because her son was always hoping to get back into acting, music, or whatever future he wanted.
‘‘We didn’t want people to know because of judgment, because of the embarrassment, because of the criticism. We wanted it to go away.’’
The last time Marlyse and her son were together, they both shared an amazing family dinner, where they ate Logan’s favorite dish, played rummy, and chatted all evening.
“He said to me, ‘Mom, I’m gonna get clean. I’m going to get better. And I want my new life to start.’ I just know the last thing we said to each other was, I love you”
Four days after that evening, she identified her child’s body at a funeral home.
‘‘Seeing him like that was as gut-wrenching as hearing that he died. It was horrific. Horrific. He was cold,’’ Marlyse said. ‘‘But I have to say I feel like he was restless and he needed me to tell him it’s okay to let go and that the pain is over and he doesn’t have to hurt anymore.’’