A 12-year-old schoolboy landed himself in the emergency services of a hospital after swallowing 52 magnets.
According to media reports, the young child deliberately swallowed the magnetic balls because he wanted to see if he would turn magnetic. In other words, it was part of an experiment.
Local media outlets spoke about how Rhiley Morrison carried out the bizarre ordeal in Manchester. First, he ate half the amount of magnetic balls. Then, on another occasion, he chose to eat the other half. But why is a question on so many people’s minds?
Apparently, Morrison wanted to check and see if the magnets would actually exert a force strong enough to make metal objects stick towards his stomach. In the same way, he was very curious as to how they would appear, after they passed out from his system, reported Daily Mail.
However, things began going in the wrong direction when he realized that he couldn’t pass them out. It had been 4 days but he failed to notice them in his stool. Worried with panic and fear, he went up to his mother and explained a more subtle version of the story.
He talked about how he had swallowed only 2 magnetic balls by mistake. On that note, his mother rushed him to the nearby hospital where doctors immediately performed an x-ray. And that’s when they were stunned to find a whopping 52 powerful magnet toys, sitting inside his stomach and bowel region.
Media experts handling the case were very fearful of the outcome, hence they opted to perform life-saving surgery on an urgent basis. The biggest fear that doctors had related to the magnets burning through his tissues or the vital organs. And if that happened, the results would be fatal, leading to permanent internal damage.
Thankfully, after a long and daunting 6-hour surgery, doctors scooped out the magnetic balls with great success. Today, Morrison is well and resting at home. He has learned from his major mistakes and doesn’t plan on going near magnetic ball toys again.
On the other hand, his mother hopes to share his medical journey with others, as a means of raising awareness of the hazards relating to magnets and magnetic toys.