Harvey Weinstein was sentenced to 23 years in prison on Wednesday, for his conviction on sexual assault and third-degree rape.
Justice James Burke handed down the sentence, in which Weinstein’s lawyers call a “de-facto life sentence.”
“I will say that although this is a first conviction, it is not a first offense,” the judge said.
Weinstein was convicted last month for two felony counts – a first degree sexual act for forcibly performing oral sex on former production assistant Mimi Haleyi, and a third-degree rape on Jessica Mann.
The judge told Weinstein that he certifies the disgraced Hollywood mogul as a sex offender before sentencing him to 20 years in prison for the sex act charge, and three years in prison on the rape count.
The sentences will run consecutively and both will come with five years of supervision after release.
The 67-year-old defamed movie mogul made a brief statement before he was sentenced, and told everyone that he “feel remorse for this situation.”
“I feel it deeply in my heart. I will spend my time really caring and really trying to be a better person,” he continued.
“I’m not going to say these aren’t great people, I had wonderful times with these people, you know,” Weinstein added, referring to his accusers.
“It is just I’m totally confused and I think men are confused about all of these issues.”
Prosecutors and leaders of the #MeToo movement applauded the lengthy sentence.
Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus Vance states that this “puts sexual predators and abusive partners in all segments of society on notice.”
On the other hand, Defense Donna Rotunno criticized the 23-year punishment and argued that Weinstein did not get a fair trial.
“There are murderers who will get out of court faster than Harvey Weinstein will,” she said. “That (23-year) number spoke to the pressure of movements in the public. That number did not speak to the evidence that came out of trial.”