Martin Gugino, the 75-year-old protester ended up with a fractured skull and is now unable to walk after two Buffalo, New York, police officers shoved him earlier this month.
“I am not at liberty to elaborate at this time other than to confirm that his skull was fractured,”
Gugino’s lawyer Kelly Zarcone said in a statement. “While he is not able to walk yet, we were able to have a short conversation before he became too tired. He is appreciative of all of the concern about him but he is still focused on the issues rather than himself.”
While Gugino has not given an in-person interview since the incident, Zarcone passed his the message: “I think it’s very unnecessary to focus on me. There are plenty of other things to think about besides me.”
“Barring something unusual and unforeseen, I don’t expect much change at all this week,” Zarcone added, referring to Gugino’s condition.”
The activist was injured when two police officers from Buffalo, New York, shoved him backwards during a protest against racism and police brutality on June 4.
A video of the incident that went viral showed how Gugino fell to the sidewalk and his head began bleeding as other officers seemingly ignored him.
The officers involved in the incident, Aaron Torgalski, 39, and Robert McCabe, 32, both pleaded not guilty to second-degree assault and have been released without bail.
Buffalo Police spokesperson Mike DeGeorge earlier issued a statement that claims Gugino tripped and fell.
They then amended that statement, suspending both Torgalski and McCabe without pay, and opened an investigation.
After the video went viral, Governor Andrew Cuomo said that the incident was “wholly unjustified and utterly disgraceful”.
Meanwhile, President Donald Trump called the incident an “ANTIFA provocateur” and that his serious injury “could be a set up.”